Not your average early field experience

By: Sarhra Flinn
Burbank
Agriscience Education
Senior

For my early field experience, I had the privilege of spending 12 days with the Amanda-Clearcreek FFA program.

My first week with the program was spend helping them prepare for their annual banquet. I helped the members put together programs, decorate the cafeteria, and rehearse the script. It was amazing to see how much these students had accomplished in just a year and how proud they were of not only themselves, but of each other.

The way the students worked together to plan, set up, and tear down the decorations was amazing to experience. After the banquet, I was better able to observe how the program functions on a normal basis. I had the opportunity to help oversee both an animal science and a shop lab as well as observe the teaching styles of all three of the program’s teachers.

The rest of my time spent with the Amanda-Clearcreek chapter was on a trip to West Virginia for the Top Fundraisers of the spring semester. We took 12 students on a trip to Dolly Sods Wilderness and white water rafting on the Cheat River. We spent two days backpacking in the Dolly Sods Wilderness and spent the night in the forest.

On the way back to the bus, we lost the trail and got a little lost. It was through this experience that I learned that working with the students, listening to their input, and coming up with an effective solution is a much more effective way of teaching students then just lecturing them. This trip also reaffirmed my belief that through the FFA program, students can learn just as much outside of the classroom as they do inside of the classroom.

I loved the time I got to spend with the Amanda-Clearcreek students and look forward the time I get to spend in the year to come as their student teacher.