Learning about Extension

Written by: Haley Kocher
Bucyrus, Ohio
Community Leadership, Community and Extension Education Specialization
Junior

With a major in community leadership and a specialization in community and extension education, my early field experience took place at the Marion County Extension Office. The Marion County Fair takes place the last week in June into July. Last minute details were in full swing as the office prepared for the fair activities. I helped the extension educator plan activities for clover bud day and 4-H camp, as weak as prepare mailings sent to advisors, parents, and members.

Photo submitted by Haley Kocher

Haley talks with youth about extension programs.

The part I enjoyed most was attending the meetings for the Jr. Fair Board, camp counselors, cloverbuds, and dog trainings. Being able to interact with the youth and volunteers in the 4-H program was a highlight for me. I also had the opportunity to lead a team building activity with the camp counselors, seeing them work together and accomplish the task as a team was a neat experience.

One thing I will take away from this experience is the new appreciation for our county educators. I am a ten year 4-H member and this experience gave me a new point of view. Our 4-H educators put in many hours and effort into making sure the fair is successful each year. Obstacles will and do occur but it is how you deal with it and what you take away from the experience that means the most. I enjoyed the time I had in the Marion County Extension Office. It helped me see the role that the extension educators play in each county. 4-H is a great organization for youth and their families and I am excited to one day be a part of our growing agricultural industry.