In ACADAOS, we would like to offer advisors many opportunities for professional development, as well as to promote camaraderie and recognition in academic advising. All advisors and friends of advising are welcome to attend events hosted by ACADAOS. Members of ACADAOS are invited to participate in more professional development events, including webinars, workshops, and article/book discussions about academic advising. Any events restricted to ACADAOS members will be listed as “MEMBERS ONLY.”
The following our some of the events that ACADAOS has come to be known for.
Annual Luncheon and Awards Ceremony
Annually in the Spring we get together to enjoy a good meal and honor members of the advising communities in various ways. Beside to check out the Awards section of this site to read about our awards and past winners.
Each year, ACADAOS and the Office of Undergraduate Education dedicate a week to celebrating you – the academic advisor! Advisors work hard to support student success and this week is all about taking the time to appreciate YOU!
You can look forward to the following events and activities:
- Free food!
- On and off campus activities!
- Thank You notes from students!
- And more fun activities to thank you for being a great advisor!
As academic advisors, we are often separated into our colleges and units, and we don’t often get the opportunity to socialize with advisors in other areas. Even though we have different students populations and different responsibilities, it is so nice to be able to talk to other people who understand what it’s like to be an advisor and have that support of an advising community. We work together to fix the ‘lows’ and come together to celebrate the ‘highs’! Some of our favorite outings are happy hours and local sporting events. We also like to lend a hand in the community through volunteer and service opportunities!
Advisor Meet-up Groups
Meet-up groups are forming around common interests. Contact the point person of the group to join, or propose a new Meetup to start by emailing Melissa Basford.email@example.com.
- Fitness- needs a point person
- Advising Offices of One- Brooke O’Leary.158
- Young Professionals- Brandon Hines.383
- Knitting/ Crocheting- Deni Allman.24
- I <3 Columbus- needs a point person
- Working Parents– Kennetia Ratleff-Horton.1
- Sports Fans- Jim Lingo.30
- Card Playing- Athena Yiamouyiannis.1
- Living an Intentional/ Minimalist Lifestyle- Kelli Swackhamer.4
- Music Lovers- Caitlin Welsh.260
- Book and Article Club– Niki Jaburek.2
- Board and Tabletop Games- Michelle Daymon.1 and Matt Deblieck.1
- iPad and Tech Tips- Shannon Peltier.15
Regional Campus Visits
As Ohio State is one University, one of the aims of ACADAOS is to bring advisors from all campuses together. Each year, members of ACADAOS from the Columbus campus travel to one of the regional campuses for a professional development opportunity with the academic advisors on that campus.
Webinars – MEMBERS ONLY
ACADAOS is focused on professional development for advisors. One way to attend a a professional development session without traveling to a conference is a webinar. A webinar is a live event presented over the Internet. ACADAOS purchases and presents NACADA webinars for ACADAOS members.