Outstanding Advising Administrator Award
The Academic Advising Association of Ohio State (ACADAOS) and the Office of Academic Affairs of The Ohio State University annually sponsor an Outstanding Advising Administrator Award for academic advising at Ohio State. This award serves to recognize and reward an exemplary academic advising administrator at The Ohio State University.
By highlighting examples of outstanding advising leadership, the awards help to demonstrate the efforts advising makes in providing excellent service and helping students achieve academic success. The recipient and nominees are outstanding role models for all advisors and advising administrators at the university. The annual nomination process and announcement of winners also help to increase the visibility of how advising contributes to student success and to the mission of the university.
One advising administrator from Ohio State will be selected each year to receive a certificate and a monetary gift presented by ACADAOS and the Office of Academic Affairs. The nominees and recipient are announced and honored at an annual ACADAOS banquet.
Nominees must be current Ohio State employees holding at least 75% of a full-time appointment whose primary role is the management of advising student services. Nominees are not required to be ACADAOS members. Previous nominees who did not receive an award may be nominated again. Previous Advising Administrator Award winners may be re-nominated after five years with additional noted achievements.
Nominees must have served in an advising administrator role for at least two years.
The Selection Committee, formed from within the executive board and membership of ACADAOS, will evaluate nominations on the evidence of exceptional advising qualities and practices that distinguish the nominee as an outstanding academic advising administrator. The award recipient will be selected on the basis of how the following criteria and characteristics are demonstrated in the nomination packets:
Contribution & Service
- Contributes to the betterment of their community through exceptional service, leadership, and accomplishments
- Significantly influence and lead advising team by implementing an advising framework that is grounded in sound theory, research, and educational practice
- A history of involvement in professional organizations and a demonstration of support of current staff to contribute to their advising community
Advocacy & Collaboration
- Fosters a supportive environment for students, facilitates student success in individual and organizational ways, and advocates for the needs of students and staff
- Develops and enhances relationships with colleagues, faculty, staff, administrators, and other support units
- Participates in and supports advisor professional development programs
Initiative & Attitude
- Evidence of departmental development, including successful initiatives, implementations, and enhancements brought forth by the efforts of the advising administrator
- Demonstrates consistent ability to problem solve with a caring and positive attitude with students, staff, and campus colleagues
- Evidence of student success through assessment of programming
For administrators with a significant length of service, nominators should be sure to include specific examples of how the nominee has demonstrated excellence in the award criteria, in addition to the cumulative impact of their career. Any previous nominations, awards, or other forms of recognition may also be included in the letters of support.
Consider highlighting some of the areas covered in the NACADA Core Values as you write your nomination.
How it Works
Nominations may be made by faculty, staff, and students (including past/present advisees). Self-nominations are also welcome.
Nomination packets must include at least three and up to five supporting letters. In order for a nomination packet to be considered complete, it must include:
- Outstanding Advising Administrator Award Form– This form should be completed by the nominator.
- Letter from the nominator- The letter should address all three award criteria — Contribution & Service, Advocacy & Collaboration, and Initiative & Attitude — but can do so in any format or order.
- Current resume for the nominee- The resume should include details about job responsibilities, initiatives, skills, professional development activities, and other contributions to the community.
- One to three additional letters- These could be letters of support from alumni, peers, supervisors, community members, parents, or other stakeholders who have personal knowledge of the nominee’s performance as an advising administrator. Historically, the strongest nomination packets include support from a variety of different perspectives, and have included both faculty and staff contributions.
Nominators and other contributors should be aware that the letters are not confidential. The Outstanding Advising Administrator Award is a way to acknowledge and celebrate the work of advising leaders at Ohio State, and excerpts from the nomination packets will be shared with the greater advising community. Nominees will also receive a copy of the complete nomination packet after the award recipients have been announced each year.
The preferred submission format for the nomination packet is to the link below. Packets may also be submitted in hard copy if necessary.
Nomination Deadline: March 4, 2019
Announcement of Nominees and Recipients
After complete nomination packets have been received, ACADAOS will contact nominees to congratulate them on their nomination. The nominees are announced and honored at an annual ACADAOS banquet. Selections from the letters of support are read at the banquet, to celebrate the outstanding work of each nominee.
Questions? Contact Margo Coates.92 or Jim Lingo.30, ACADAOS Awards and Recognition Co-Chairs